Monday, May 10, 2010

Barkin' Dog Duathlon


I did my first duathlon this past weekend and was the first place winner for my age group! It was a 2K run follwed by a 18-K bike, then a 5K run. I got this fancy cup as my 'trophy'. It's too bad we forgot the camera on the counter because I guess I was in such a hurry during the first transition that I put my bike helmet on backwards and rode the whole 10 miles with it on the wrong way!! Thank goodness there was a "sprint" distance to sign up for because I'm pretty sure my body couldn't have handled much more having had a baby 14 weeks ago (and my recent history of knee problems).
So, I've decided that women don't do this kind of stuff right after having a baby NOT because they physically can't, but because it is such a royal pain in the butt to figure out the logistics! The night before the race I didn't get much sleep. Allison slept over so she could borrow the Tercel to bring to work and I woke up to her alarm at 2:15 am. Then, Isaac decided he wanted to get up at 4 am to eat. I was supposed to be to the race by 6:30 am, which was a little too soon for another feeding, so I pumped in the back seat on the way there to make sure he had something to eat since my heat didn't start until after 8 am and I wouldn't be done racing until well after 9 am. I then tried to feed him once we got to the parking lot so I would have to run with one full side. It took too long to try to feed him and pump out the rest so I missed the race course orientation. Luckily he slept in the stroller the whole time during my race, but he started waking up before the awards ceremony. We couldn't have our own car anywhere near the start/finish line and it was cold and windy, so I asked one of the sponsor tables if I could nurse Isaac in the back of their cargo van. Luckily there was a Rubbermaid tote in the back amidst all of the cardboard boxes/debris so I could sit on something to nurse him. I had put thermals on under his PJ's so it was a real pain to change his diaper. I changed it up right before I started feeding him (with the Rubbermaid tote as his changing table), but of course he filled it up again before he was finished eating and spit up all over my biker shorts while he was eating. I couldn't bring myself to put his thermal pants back on under his PJ's after the 2nd diaper change (thus, no pants in the above picture), but we survived the whole thing and I'm glad I did it!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. You have my admiration. I can't believe you did that AND came in first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I always thought babies seemed like quite the handful, but to see it spelled out like that with the details of how it throws a wrench into every moment of what you are trying to do - well, know I am even MORE concerned...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously, you are amazing. You need to save this post so Isaac can read it when he's older and know how awesome his mom is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so impressed! LOL about the logistics problems....

    ReplyDelete